Search This Blog

Friday, January 23, 2009

1951: LEE BELARDINO: OLD FRIENDS ARE THE BEST FRIENDS



Wherever there is music, there was Leon Belardino, my singing classmate from HHS '51. Lee and I share the same love of music and the finer things in life. He was an anchor in the tenor section of our HHS '51 choir. I received the email below from Lee this morning and if there are any other HHS '51 classmates who visit this site, I'm sure his message will warm your heart. He recalls our "golden years" with love and respect. Lee, these graphics are only a few from my HHS folder, but as usual, you are right in there adding your splendid tenor voice to what was one of Hamilton High School's notable vocal music classes in the history of the school.
This one's for you, Lee Belardino, one of Hamilton's "Varsity Letter All Star Vocalists."
===============++++++++++===========
LEE WRITES:
Tommy:
I haven't communicated with you for awhile. Every day I open my computer, check the Trentonian web site (can't get the Times anymore), read the Philly inquirer for news about the Phillies and eagles and your site and the class of 51 site. Thats it every day. The other day you had a story about the Hamilton senior center in which there was a picture of one of my cousins, Frank Chiorello and his wife. I commented on it in your blog which resulted in getting a phone call from my cousin Joe Battisti whom I think you know. You are the connection to the most favorite part of my life (1947-1951) began when I walked into room 300, 4th period music and sitting on her desk with a smile on her face, a scarf around her neck was the women who had the greatest influence on my life:Louise Baird.Very few days go by that I don't think about her and the things that she did those 4 years. She introduced me to the finer things in life; not only music, but character.You said everything I wanted to say but didn't. There is a place in my heart that belongs to her and no one else. Tom, from reading your thoughts every day,I know we share the same ideals, same love of GOOD music, (My I-pod contains nothing but Sinatra, Andy Willams, Perry Como, Guy Mitchell, Pavarotti, Botcelli) WHOSE WORDS YOU CAN UNDERSTAND. Can you imagine what Miss Baird would think about the mumbling, screeching sounds that passes for music today? By the way I don't do too bad on your music tests, but buddy you are tough. I still sing and I belong to 3 groups: Barber shop (lead), mixed voices(tenor), and senior Ukulele band that only tolerates me because I can sing not play. We can sure use good baritone-bass, and alto; know of any couple? Won;t take any more of your time but please keep writing because your biggest fan is out here in California. Say hello to Judy.Oh by the way what happened to Trenton that we used to know?.
Lee

No comments: