Search This Blog

Friday, February 09, 2007

1936: Legendary Ralph Abel's HHS Baseball Champions

I honestly don't know whether I posted this in an earilier entry or not, but with baseball season just beyond the horizon, I will take a chance and present it again.
==================================
THANKS TO MY FRIEND ALAN WILDBLOOD FOR THE FOLLOWING EMAIL WHICH POINTS TO AN ERROR IN THE DATE ON THE TEAM PHOTO IN THE GRAPHIC ON THE LEFT. FOLLOWING IS ALAN'S EMAIL AND MY RESPONSE. THANKS AGAIN, ALAN!
==================================
From: Alan Wildblood
To: Tom Glover
Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2007 10:50 AM

Tom,


I have been viewing the HHS baseball team. Your text and the caption say 1936 but the file name says 1937. I know that Elmer Baggley, who is in my family tree, was born in August 1920. If he was a junior it would probably be 1936, if a senior 1937. Saul Gilman was my teacher and Joe Bacskay the father of my classmate.


Lois is overjoyed that the Steinert Class of 1966 (Marsha and Lee's) contributed generously to the Brearley fund and hopes they will have enough for a bench.


Alan


=============================================================


Hey Alan:


An explanation and a faux pas. The lower engraving is seperate from the upper; in fact, I inserted it into a space below the baseball photo. I believe the lower is indeed 1936. You will note that there is no "header" on the upper photo with a date as there is in most of my graphics. In retrospect, the top photo was undated and taken from an old scrapbook. I will assume from your email that it is 1937. Thanks for the correction.


Tom

No comments: